Saturday 25 June 2011

LONER


MY FRIEND, charcoal on paper


These B&W drawings are my work during the years 1996 to 1999. Simple, bold lines but enigmatic, raw but smooth, that’s how I see these works. An individual who is near to nature and its elements, very calm in his appearance. He is shown at peace with his inner self. More like a monk or saint. But he is lonely. A loner from heart, he needs no company but his own pure self.
All the works have playful poses. It’s very poetic and an aura of romanticism is there. Mainly done in pen and ink on paper. One of the work is done in charcoal and conte on paper. The flowers and birds are enormous, the foliage is highlited with lots of boldness. At that moment I wanted to take a lot of risk and experimented with the forms. Without knowing the outcome of these series, I went on a journey of self exploration.
Testing my strength and weaknesses as an artist. Its one of my important series of works and these body of drawings laid the foundation for my future creations. ‘LONER’, is a an epic told through lines.
* Artist Statement - Soumen Bhowmick.


Brush and ink on paper

Brush and ink on paper

Brush and ink on paper

1 comment:

Madhavi said...

Soumen - u have started expressing yourself truly and nicely ! I cannot rate the sincere expression like yours.........This is limitation of the blogg :)
All The Best